Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dad--I Miss You

Edward C. Morrison
July 3, 1933 - June 17, 2007
"No words I write can ever say
How much I miss you every day. "

We little knew that morning
That God would call your name.
In life we loved you dearly;
In death we do the same.
It broke our hearts to lose you,
But you did not go alone,
For part of us went with you
The day God called you home.
You left us beautiful memories,
Your love is still our guide,
And though we cannot see you,
You are always by our side.
Our family chain is broken
And nothing seems the same,
But as God calls us one by one,
The chain will link again.

Author Unknown

He simply went to bed that night and when my brother tried to awaken him the next morning, he couldn't; God had called our Dad home sometime during the night. That was on Father's Day morning 2 years ago today. A very hard day for us because my sister and I had made plans to make this day extra special for our Dad. We knew he was in bad health and might not be with us the next year but little did we know he wouldn't be with us this Father's Day afterall. I did not see my Dad the week before his death, I drove by his home twice, on Friday & Saturday (died on Sunday), and did not stop, thinking I would see him on Sunday, Father's Day. Not stopping by on Friday night has caused me much grief, Saturday we were with friends and I don't feel so bad about it but we usually stopped by on Friday nights to visit him and when my husband asked me if I wanted to stop by, I said no that we will see him on Sunday. I have wished many times that I would have stopped but now it is too late. I can't do anything about that now but I will no longer take the opportunity to spend time with my loved ones for granted and will not wait on holidays to do something special for my family. Since my Dad's death, I believe I have become a much more thoughtful and caring person and I have found peace in the fact that he is no longer suffering with lung disease and congestive heart failure. BUT I STILL MISS HIM....

Miss Me

Miss me, but let me go

When I come to the end of the road

And the sun has set for me

I want no rites in a gloom filled room

Why cry for a soul set free

Miss me a little - but not too long

And not with your head bowed low

Remember the love that we once shared

Miss me - but let me go

For this is a journey that we must all take

And each must go alone

It's all a part of the Master's plan

A step on the road to home

When you are lonely, and sick of heart

Go to the friends we know

And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds

Miss me - but let me go

-- Author Unknown --

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Elizabeth...I am so sorry for the immense sorrow that you feel.
A poignant reminder to cherish each day, each moment that we have with the ones we love.
Knowing your Dad is no longer in pain is a comfort, I hope.
Sending you many hugs,
Lynn♥

Elena said...

Dear Elizabeth, I loved the poems, they reflect how I felt too when I lost my mom. I know the pain of losing a parent that you are close too. Knowing they are with the Lord makes the thougths of heaven even sweeter. Take care and may the Lord continue to comfort your heart. Hugs, Elena

Alexandra said...

Life is so fragile, isn't it?! What a lovely tribute to your dad...he hears you. He knows how much you miss him. Anything felt in the heart is heard.

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,
This is Dave's first Father's Day without his dad. He is really sad. Being in the hospital I think is making it worst.
Hugs,
Elizabeth