Monday, June 15, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Friday-Bathrooms

I seem to be making a habit of running rehind on my post for this event each week and I do apologize. This week participants are showing bathrooms at Show Us Where You Live Friday hosted by Kelly's Corner . I would like to share my master bathroom although I have shown it before back in December.

First and foremost, I do not claim to be an artist. About five years ago, I decided I wanted a mural around our tub. I started looking on the internet at Mediterranean murals that you can purchase. It was the ones that you put up like wall paper and I found one that I liked very much. In fact, I almost purchased it but decided that I did not want wallpaper, I wanted it painted. Not wanting to hire someone and being the cheapo that I am, I decided that I could paint this. Me...... someone who has never drawn or painted anything like this before. I had drawn pictures with our children when they were small but they were not hard to impress and no one else ever saw them. I printed the picture out that I liked and went to town and bought several bottles of craft paints at Hobby Lobby and painted the mural to the best of my ability. It is not perfect by any means but I am satisfied with it.

This is the right side of the mural. I made the curtains also.

This is the left side.

This is standing in front of the tub.


Our master bath is divided into two sections. The whirlpool is in my section.



We each have our own vanity and this one is mine. My husband doesn't like a lot of stuff (as he calls it) setting around on his.
A silver brush set I bought at an antique store several years ago. I bought the toothbrush and cup caddie at TJ Maxx a few years ago.


This is a view from my section of the bath looking into my husband's section.

This is his vanity.

A closer view of his section of the bath.


I made the shower curtain in his section to match the window treatments in my section.


The bath is in two different sections because my husband's section use to be our daughter's bathroom when she lived here. After both kids moved out we built a large master bedroom onto our house and added another section to the existing bath to make it large enough for a whirlpool tub and another vanity. All of our friends kid us about waiting until the kids moved out to remodel and add onto our home; a time when other empty nester's are chosing to downsize. We joke back and say that we are making room for the grandchildren. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed your tour.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Elizabeth! Are you kidding me??? That mural is awesome! You can come paint a mural for me anytime..wow! I love it love love it! I'll bet when you're in there, it feels like a mini-getaway.

Hugs,
Deanna :D

Rachel said...

That mural is awesome and I love how the tub has its own little nook!

Alexandra said...

I have a thing for beautiful bathrooms because to me it's a place of retreat and peace! What a fabulous job you did on that mural.