Saturday, February 6, 2010

Some Say I Am Disabled-Poem

I found this poem recently and it really touched me because of Skylar. I know how hurtful it is to him when he is labeled as disabled, handicapped, or crippled.

Some Say I Am Disabled

Some say I am disabled,
But you know that isn't true.
I simply have a challenge
A little different from you.

My slight inconvenience has taught me things
They could not know.
Each obstacle is a victory,
Enabling me to grow.

I'm not really any different.
I cry. I laugh.
I don't want to be treated
As if I'm not a person anymore.

Out of good intentions,
People are afraid to let me try.
But sometimes I have to fall,
And sometimes I need to cry.

God gives me the strength and dignity
And the courage to be all I can be.
For He doesn't see me as disabled,
He just sees me as me.

BJ Morbitzer
© 1964

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Lovely! I always think that we shouldn't label. We are all souls inside and how the outside works is God's plan for us. He wouldn't disable us!
Thanks for sharing!
Hugs, Lisa

Unknown said...

What a beautiful poem...My father had a disease that deterioated his muscles..He never used his handicap. He taught me so much. He would try and try to do things so he wouldn't burden us..He taught me all I know about gardening..He would be gardneing and then he would fall flat on his face...when he fell his arms couldn't break the fall...we would have to roll him over and then sit him up and my brother or mother would get behind him and lift while I would help pull him up...time after time we would do that when it was later on with his disease..he would always go back out to the garden..he never wanted to give up..He taught me so much..He taught me determination in every thing I do..He taught me to take a plate full of thorny weeds with one flower and make the flower bloom over the weeds.....He is now in heaven whole as can be and free of pain...he is my true hero...Lisa

Terri said...

What a wonderful poem!