Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Insomnia

I found out 4 years ago that I was in perimenopause ( I had a hysterectomy when I was 31). I have had the hot flashes, irritability, mood swings, and night sweats.... everyone is always talking about but I did not know that insomnia was also a part of it (my mom slept all the time when she was in menopause and I have friends who say they also sleep alot). My symptoms seem to have gotten worse within the last year. Nighttime is miserable with the sweating and all. Most of the time I do not even go to bed until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning and I am almost always awake by 6:00 a.m. I have tried going to bed by 10:00 p.m. but I just lie there wide awake and s w e a t. I usually get up and work on my blog or read others or do crossword puzzles. However, the lack of sleep is causing me to become lazy. I just don't have the energy to do all that I need to. I spend 5 to 6 hours a day through the week caring for my nephew (who is a quadriplegic) and when I get home I am wasted. I do not feel like doing anything. I know some of it is stress related from seeing what he is going through each day but I have never been lazy. My house has always been organized and clean and that is not the case now. I also love to cook, sew, read and garden but I seem to have lost interest in those lately. I talked to my gynecologist back in October about my inability to sleep and she suggested I take an over the counter sleep medication. I do not want to do that. I do not take any medication except for Excedrin Migraine and Aleve occasionally for my headaches and my vitamins. I am trying to lose weight and it is hard to feel like exercising when you are already exhausted. I keep thinking that if I get exhausted enough I will be able to sleep at night and so far it has not helped. I also thought that my insomnia might be the result of all the cokes that I was drinking (4-5 per day) but I have cut down to 1 in the morning for the past 8 days and so far it hasn't helped (cutting out the caffeine has really left me with even less energy). I have also tried taking hot bubble baths to make me sleepy but that does not work either. Hopefully I will find something that works for me soon. Is anyone else having trouble sleeping? Any suggestions? Thank you for visiting.

7 comments:

Danae said...

I have trouble sleeping also - my doctor recommended a small glass of red wine half an hour before bed and I find this works! If you don't drink, then perhaps lavender oil on your pillow and a bed routine? These things commonly help.

Good luck :)

Anonymous said...

Boy, I feel for you not being able to sleep! Go to a health food or a natural food store and pick up an all-natural herbal sleep aid. I've been using Rapid Sleep PM tabs that I got at Walmart and they are an all-natural herbal tab. I have found that they work pretty well. I go to bed by 9:30 p.m. and I am usually up by 6 a.m. Sometimes earlier ... like this morning! Ugh!! And there are natural herbal things on the market to help you through menapause ... talk to someone in a health food store and try to get some relief. Hugs!!!

Gramma Roxanne said...

Dear Elizabeth,my heart goes out to you~~I do not have trouble sleeping or hot flashes or anything like that and have not menstrated for four years now. I rarely have trouble sleeping either but when I have because of upsetting circumstances, or in the past that time of the month, sick children keeping me up all night and getting overtired etc. this is the mixture of herbs I use~~I use it on children too just give less.
peppermint, valerian, camomile, skullcap mix a mixture of a few tablespoons of each herb into a container and take out about a tablespoon or so and put into your teapot.Pour boiling water over it and let steep for say four minutes or so Drink a cup or two while it is hot. Do NOT microwave this you can save it in the fridge and then reheat it in a pot do not boil it though as destroys the properties of your herbs.You can drink two cups at a sitting. If you were here I would give you Labrador Tea I do not know what kind of herbs grow in your area. For the rest of your problems ~Have you tried Black Cohosh or Red Clover??There are many many herbs that are useful and homeopathic rememdies but I will not pretend to know about them although have used the odd one for this or that. I was taught with herbs. Taught from an early age what to pick. Lived half my life on a reservation. So that is all I know and stick to that You can buy herbs at stores so prayerfully something will help that way and there are herbal remedies for your problems in tablet forms. God Bless let me know how things go ~~Roxanne

Gramma Roxanne said...

Hi again Elizabeth,
I thought of something else this day too~~~coka cola or any soda pop for that matter interfere with the absorption of calcium ~~calcium not only builds bones but it feeds our nerves~~like Ms. Marcia says go to a health food store or some place where you can get good all natural supplements and a good b-complex they will all help Happy dreams

Charree said...

I don't have any suggestions, but I will pray that God will give you a solution.

Have a blessed day!
~Charree

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blogspot! I enjoy the crocheting and knitting and sometimes I tend to overdo it a bit. There are so many instructions on-line for both crocheting and knitting and the single crochet is the easiest! One loop on your hook, draw a loop up through your chain and draw a loop through both loops on your hook and you have a single crochet. Learning how to make that last crochet stitch at the end of a row is tricky and you end up with a lopsided piece of work if you don't crochet in that very last, end stitch! Good luck and keep practicing! Hugs! Marcia

Gina said...

I am so sorry you are experiencing this. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I too had a hysterectomy at a younger age. It has been almost ten years and I am still struggling. I just want to encourage you to continue to see your physician and to have blood work done. I found out that part of my problem was a parathyroid gland that needed to come out. This helped a little with the insomnia but definately helped with some other issues I had. I am currently on a low dose hormone, I absolutely hated going on this, but I wasn't able to function in my day to day life. I had tried lots of natural remedies but these just didn't help me.
I will be praying for you.