I love to read and last year my husband and I closed in our back porch and made it a sunroom for me to sit and read in.... We did most of the work ourselves except for finishing the sheetrock and laying the slate tile. My husband has laid ceramic tile in other areas of our home but did not have time to do this project. He owns his own business building custom built homes. He and his 71 year-old dad does all the framing of the homes by themselves. He works very hard and likes to have his free time to do things that he enjoys. I understand and respect that. I did all the painting and clean up. I also made the curtains, pillows and recovered the cushions on the wicker loveseat and chairs. I furnished it with things that I already had. The bookcase I purchased at an antique store about 10 years ago. My husband actually laughed at it when I brought it home and said, "I can't believe you bought that." Then he asked me how much I paid for it. I was too embarassed to tell him. I just told him that I'd rather not say at this time. To which he jokingly replied, "if you paid anything you paid too much." I must admit it looked bad. Someone had used it to store paint in and it had many different colors of paint spills inside and out. I had to do alot of refinishing to get it like I wanted it and received a lot of compliments afterwards. My daughter used it while she lived next door to keep her Precious Moments collection in. The other items, I was either using in other areas of my home or had stored. I am very pleased with how it turned out. I have not had much time to actually read in there but we enjoy sitting in there and relaxing with each other or with friends.
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Show & Tell Friday-Sunroom
I had my bladder surgery (sling inserted) yesterday (Wednesday). I went into surgery at 9:30 a.m. and I was home before 2:00 p.m. I am doing good. I feel fine as long as I am lying down or standing up. It is a little painful to sit and most definitely painful getting up and down. While I am recuperating I thought I would show some photos of my home after I finished with my spring cleaning. Today I am showing my sunroom. I rearranged some of the furniture during cleaning and I think I like it better this way, at least for now. I will probably be ready to change it again by fall. I hope you enjoy the photos and for more Show and Tell please visit Kelli at There is no place like home to see what she and other participants are showing. The following is a repost from Saturday, November 15, 2008 when I first showed my sunroom (the photos below were taken today, May 7th):
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
Hi Elizabeth
Your new room is beautiful. I think you and your husband did a wonderful job. It is so cozy and inviting. I'm sure you will enjoy the room for many years to come. My husband builds homes as well. The home we just built is up for sale. So once again I get to pack and move. (MY back is getting sore already!!) Life is a journey and always an adventure for us! You take care of yourself. Get lots of rest and use that new room of yours! Love, Christina
What a beautiful sun room.
Ther perfect place for you to relax and recover from your op.
Take care.
Hi Elizabeth
What a beautiful place to relax in after your surgery.
Hope you are back to yourself soon!
~Ann
How charming!!! So light filled and wonderfully decorated.
My Show N Tell this week, is laser crystal art. Come on over if you can find time. Happy Friday.
Your room is beautiful, Elizabeth! It looks so warm and inviting. I hope you feel better soon!
Your room does look sunny and very comfortable! I like how you arranged things there.
Glad your surgery was ok.
What a great room and it's decorated perfectly!
What are you reading now?
Happy Mother's Day!
Your new room is lovely! Perfect to enjoy a good book in a comfy chair!
Hope you're feeling great soon.
Your sun room is lovely! It looks so inviting. A beautiful place to relax. You have done a lovely job! Have a Happy Mother's Day! Elena
I love the room. You certainly have a gold mine there. Thank you for sharing.
Since you love to read, check out my sidebar. I almost always have a book giveaway going on my book blog.
Your sunroom is beautiful. I kept enlarging all the pictures so I wouldn't miss any detail! All your decorations are precious.
I will be praying for a fast and speedy recovery. Have a Blessed Friday...julie
Hi Elizabeth...
So glad to hear that your surgery went well and that you're home recuperating!!! Feel better, my friend!!!
Ohh myyy...where do I start? Your sunroom is absolutely gorgeous!!! It's truly one of the prettiest rooms that I've seen...I love everything in it!!! I especially love the wall color...sooo pretty! And after enlarging all of your photos...I could see that beautiful striped area rug that is soooo perfect in this pretty sunroom...it really ties all of the colors that you've used in this room together!!! I love the look of stripes with the floral patterns of your cushions...beautiful!!! Hehe...I giggled when I read about your old bookshelves! Girl, I've been in that same position a time or two...wink! I bet your honey had to back up a bit when he seen how fabulous it looks after you refurbished it!!! I love it!!! Love the look of the dark brown with the white wicker...it's a nice contrast and really does add so much interest to the room!!!
Well my friend, all of your accessories are fabulous...I love them all...I love bunnies!!! You have great style...I could walk into this room and be so very happy...not changing one thing!!! And you know that's a compliment when it comes to some of us gals who like to decorate...wink!!!
I do have to say a little something about that gorgeous cherub statue/vase with the greenery falling so beautifully from it...I just adore it!!! I need one just like it!!! Hehe!!!
Well Darlin'...feel better soon!
Happy Mother's Day!
Chari
How pretty and bright. I just love rooms filled with sunshine.
Have a blessed weekend!
~Charree
What a lovely, cozy room!
I love it.......
Blessings,
Spencer
Your new room is just beautiful!! What a lovely place to read and relax!!
Your decorating is just amaazing:)
I pray that you recuperate from your surgery quickly.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Linda C
Beautiful! That has "happy place" written all over it.
I am glad your surgery went well. Prayers for quick healing. :)
Hi Elizabeth~~
Happy Mother's Day!
Your sun room is just lovely~~everything is so pretty and serene.
Enjoy your day and take care of yourself...
Hugs,
Lynn
I just found your blog and am reading through. I LOVE the sunroom. I'm ready to take my tea and my book and go relax in it right now!
Post a Comment