Sunday, February 8, 2009

Spring Cleaning


One of my reading spots. This chair is deep and comfortable. This photo also shows one of my four cabinets of dolls and knick knacks.

A broader view of the room. You can see about half of the wood heater. It is made by Vermont Casting and is blue. The blue heater is why there is a blue throw and pillow on the sofa. We have had it almost 18 years and love it. You can click on the picture to see it better.
A view of another cabinet. It is an old wardrobe. It use to be in my son's room when he was home. After he moved out we did some remodeling and made his room into our dining room. I didn't want to get rid of it so I decided to use it in the living room. I can always use more storage.

A closer view of the details on the cabinet.


We have had some beautiful weather the past three days. I was able to open my windows yesterday and again today to let some fresh air in. My husband and several of his friends have gone off riding on their motorcycles so I have the afternoon to do as I please. However, I will spend the time preparing dinner and doing some chores. Having a few days of warm weather has put me in the mood to do some spring cleaning. Yesterday, I was able to deep clean our living room so I thought this would be a good time to show some pictures of it. We have been using wood heat the past few weeks while it has been so cold and everything was dusty. I spent several hours cleaning the walls (including rock wall, hearth and mantle)and chandelier, vacuuming the curtains, window shades, sofa, and chair, dusting and polishing wood furniture, cleaning windows and glass tops on the end tables and and mopping. I cleaned the outside of the heater but not the inside, as we will be using it again in a few days. I love the smell of a freshly cleaned room. I can smell the lemon oil that I polished the furniture with and the Murphy's Oil that I mopped the floors with. Most of the time I use vinegar and water to clean my wood floors but about once a month I like to mop them with Murphy's Oil. It makes them shinier and I feel like it conditions them. As for now, I need to get off this computer and get busy. I may even take a little walk and get some exercise while it is warm. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you have a great afternoon.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Your home is so beautiful and invited! I enjoyed the tour!
~Kelli
P.s Thank you for the sweet birthday wishes.

Linda C said...

Everything looks so clean and fresh and shiny!!

You have a beautiful home:)

Linda C

Terri said...

Elizabeth, your home is gorgeous! I love the shine on your furniture and I love that wood cabinet.

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Looks beautiful. When you are done will you come to my house?LOL
Hugs,
mama turtle

j said...

What a beautiful room!! It looks so fresh and yet cozy too.